Advanced Ultralight Regulations

The Canadian Advanced Ultralight is a fixed wing 3 axis aeroplane that meets or exceeds the standards laid out in DS10141. This is a document that is owned by Lamac (Light Aircraft Manufacturers Association of Canada) and accepted by Transport Canada. Since an advanced Ultralight meets a approved design standard they are allowed to carry a passenger provided the pilots license or permit also allows passenger carrying.


What follows is a abbreviated overview of the design standards (DS 10141), for complete details contact Lamac to obtain a copy of the document.

Definition Advanced Ultralight:

(a) Is propeller driven;

(b) Is designed to carry a maximum of two persons, including the pilot;

(c) Has a maximum take-off mass, MTOmax, (weight, WTOmax) of:

  1. 350 Kg (770 lb) for a single place aeroplane, or

  2. 560.0 Kg ( 1232 lb) for a two place aeroplane;

  1. A maximum stalling speed in the landing configuration, VSO, at manfacturer's recommended maximum take-off weight not exceeding 72 km/h (45 mph) (IAS);

  1. Is limited to non-aerobatic operations.

  2. Non-aerobatic operations include:

(1) manoeuvres incident to normal flying

(2) stalls and spins (if approved for type);

(3) lazy eights, chandelles; and

(4) steep turns, in which the angle of bank is not more than 60º


Minimum Useful Load

Advanced ultra-light aeroplanes shall have a Minimum Useful Load, MU (WU) computed as follows:


      (a) For a single place aeroplane:

MU = 80 + 0.3P, in kg; where P is the rated engine(s) power in kw;

(WU = 175 + 0.5P, in lb; where P is the rated engine(s) power in BHP).

(b) For a two place aeroplane:

MU = 160 + 0.3P, in kg; where P is the rated engine(s) power in kw;

(WU = 350 + 0.5P, in lb; where P is the rated engine(s) power in BHP).


Maximum Gross Weight

The Maximum Gross Weight, Mmax, includes all operational equipment that is actually installed in the aeroplane. It includes the weight of the airframe, power plant, required equipment, optional and specific equipment, fixed ballast, landing gear (floats), engine coolant, hydraulic fluid, fuel, oil, pilot, passenger and cargo. It must not exceed 560 Kgs (1232 lbs)


Stalling Speeds

(1) VS0: shall not exceed 72 km/h (45mph)

(2) VS1: flaps retracted, shall not exceed 96.5 km/h (60 mph).

How to Register an Advanced Ultralight as the first owner

Ensure your aeroplane is of a type listed on the Transport Canada “Listing of Approved Advanced Ultra-Light Aeroplanes”.

Obtain from your kit manufacturer a “Statement of Conformity”. This confirms that your airframe mets the requirement as laid out in the Document of Compliance that the manufacturer has filed with the Department of Transport for the aircraft an be listed on the Approved Advanced Ultra-light list.

The first step in registering the actual registration of an advanced ultralight is to apply to the appropriate Transport Canada, Civil Aviation office for registration marks to be issued to the aeroplane. Registration marks will be issued in the C-I series. Transport Canada, Civil Aviation Communications Centre at 1-800-305-2059.

When you have the registration marks for your aeroplane complete the form entitled:

Application for registration of ultra-light or advanced ultra-light aeroplane (form 26-0521).

  • attach the proof of ownership document (e.g. bill of sale);

  • ƒ include a photo of the aeroplane ID plate, clearly showing the name of the manufacturer, model and serial number;

  • ƒ include fee payment; ƒ

  • include a copy of the Statement of Conformity (SoC) signed by the manufacturer;

forward to your regional Transport Office.

How to Register an Advanced Ultralight as a change of ownership

Complete the application for continuing registration that is provided with the Certificate of Registration as part of the interim registration procedure. The previous owner must sign the Fit For Flight Form. Evidence that the manufacturer has been advised of a change of owner of the aeroplane and that the new owner has been added to the manufacturer’s owner records.

Send the above forms with the $110.00 fee to your Transport Canada office along with a picture of the data plate.

Hints for Homebilders videos at